Sunday, 3 March 2013

Act 3 Scene 3 (A)


[3.3A]         Exeunt Hugh Oatcake Enter Dogberry and Verges.

Conrade  A commodity in question, I warrant you. Come, we’ll obey you.

Dogberry [to Seacole] what is the charge lain upon these two lawful gentlemen?

Seacole  Slander against the brother of the prince. And engrossment in a ploy against the Lady Beatrice; Leonato’s heir.

Dogberry  The most slanderous of crimes, a price must be paid in the dishonourable name of thou prince’s brother.

Borachio  My good man you have-

Dogberry  You must exceed to speak, you are charged!

           Exeunt Borachio and Conrade.

Dogberry [to watchman] Why ever would you approach such men as those? Against thy incompetent word to approach an unknown knave.

Watchman  But their participation in the plot against the Lady Beatrice is most compelling and dishonourable.

Dogberry  Speak not of this. I am inferior to your judgments as a man with such valour, and ignorance as mine will gladly look upon such a case as this with the true intention of concealing the proper evidence and come to the correct confusion.

Verges  For a watchman to doubt the intellect of the constable, I pity thou life and thou soul.

Dogberry  Verges, how could you not distrust thy? I am most tedious, and a statement such as thou’s should see thou forced from the watch under complimentary charges.

Verges  I am intolerable to your nature and thou art the most ignorant of all.

Dogberry   Marry, this is the most unreasonable way of you and I will not deprive thou of thy company.

Verges  Thou hath always been considered a forgiving man.

Dogberry  Speak not, I fear there may be something of great unimportance we must consort.                                        [to watchman] Adieu. I beseech you.

                           Exeunt all.

1 comment:

  1. I actually like the Emily.

    I don't say this lightly, it seems real. You make use of the staples of comedy, malaprops, misunderstanding and a pinch of farce.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete